Re: stupid timing question, mkII

To: BarneyMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: stupid timing question, mkII
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:32:31 -0600 (MDT)
On Wed, 21 Aug 1996 BarneyMG@aol.com wrote:

> I can't keep my $.02 out any longer.  A couple of years ago at the NAMGAR
> national meet Jokn Twist (UML) was doing a rolling tech session on the MGAs,
> pulled out a timing light and set the timing on an MGA to 20 degrees BTDC at
> idle, along with the statement, "I know that sounds like a lot for an MG, but
> trust me, it works".

Hey, I'm convinced.  20 before at what rpm?  With distributor vacuum
connected or disconnected?

I also want to check that my valve timing is right.  My timing mark on
the pulley seems to be off a bit: something like five degrees, if I
recall, from TDC as determined by looking down the spark plug holes and
at the valves rocking.  I know you can flip the timing chain gears to
alter the timing by less than a tooth, but how do you know when it's
right?

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA                kevins@khoral.com
Khoral Research Inc.                      http://www.khoral.com
Albuquerque NM USA