Re: R-12

To: luthy@cesd.servtech.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: R-12
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:33:33 -0400

<< Be careful with some of these substiutes most are flamable. If a hose were

 to burst (not an unlikely event) there may be a fire or small explosion!
 There are currently only TWO authorized replacments for r-12 in a MOBILE
 system i.e. a car or truck. They are R-134 and a substance made by
 intermagnetics sold under the trade name of FR-12 by Penzzoil. Any thing
 else and you are risking your life and your car. >>

You guys must thing I have a thing about fire, well I've never had one in a
car but I do carry Fire Extinguishers in all my drivers.....anyway back to
Freon substitutes, I've seen the data sheets to one substitute for R12 and it
s basically propane with some lube for the compressor.  Extremely flameable!
 It is being promoted here in Ca. as a direct substitute for R12 with no mods
necessary to the system.  Apparently it is legal as well.  While we were
puruseing the data sheets down at the Rolls/Ferrari shop in Berkeley several
of the mechanics gathered around and allowed as to how the boot leg stuff
coming in from Mexico is diluted with propane.....

The good news is that few MG drivers have to worry about this stuff.....BTW
the Rolls guy absolutely refuses to use the propane substitute.

Cheers
Terry