59 MGA

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: 59 MGA
From: dondaves@ix.netcom.com (Don Daves)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:07:17 -0700
Greetings all,

I'm new to the MG newsline and was wondering how much expertise there
is out there concerning MGA's.

My brother, Ed, bought a 59 MGA in pretty nice original condition.
Turns out not to be so original.  Previous owner said nothing, and Ed
didn't notice, that the engine tag says 18G and that there are pipe
plugs in place above the exhaust ports for the air injection equipment
- looks to me like a MGB engine was slipped in.

Any way to tell what year "B" this engine came from?  It has SU carbs
on it but don't know if they're from the "A" or the "B" engine.  It
does have the original chrome MGA air filters in place.  The trans
appears original and the car runs great - perfect top and interior.

How does this transplant affect the value of the car?

One last question, it has an electric tach installed - looks just like
the one my old '65 MGB had.  My experience with older Healys and early
Sprites shows those cars having mechanical tachs.  Did MG use electric
tachs in 1959 or is this another "improvement" by the PO?

Thanks for any advice you can offer

Don Daves <dondaves@ix.netcom.com>
Santa Cruz, CA