59 MGA

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 59 MGA
From: dondaves@ix.netcom.com (Don Daves)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 16:29:51 -0700
Howdy,

I just finished checking my brother's MGA - what a difference when you
have some idea of what to look for.

Engine # 18GH - WE - H 11532

At first glance, all that we could read was "18G" - the rest was
covered up with paint globs.  Can anyone tell us what year it is?

In case this means anything to anyone, the body ID plate says:
      "Series MGA" HDR43/62450"

The carbs look typical, to me, of early-mid sixties
Healy/Sprite/Midget/MGB type SU's.  As A.B. Bonds mentioned, they
appear to be HS4 models with the wire-wound flexible fuel hose linking
the bottom of the float bowl to the jet.
As a bonus, both had ID tags attached to the float bowl screws:
AUD 326F (front) and AUD 326R (rear). Can these numbers be associated
with any certain MGB engines or years?

I don't know quite what the Stellings and Hellings chrome air filters
look like, but these definitely are not K & N's.  These have a base
plate bolted to each carb, two round perforated metal rings about 1/2
inch high with what looks like foam rubber from a discarded
Barcolounger chair stuffed between the two rings.  A chrome cover (like
a little hubcap) with a single mounting nut in the center covers the
whole affair and holds this "filter" in place.  No name or other ID
markings anywhere.
Thanks to you guys asking, we took the filters apart to inspect and
found 50% of the old foam rubber gone - crumbs of this stuff were all
over the intake bores of both carbs.  Sure glad we caught that!

How about a recommendation for a decent aftermarket air cleaner for
this baby?

Another thing Ed is wondering, the oil filter is a cartridge type.  It
sits inverted right behind the generator and looks like an adaptor was
used to attach it to the block.  The block looks like it could have
accommodated a spin-on filter before.  When he buys a new filter, what
car/engine should he specify?

For Bruce Durgin's question if the car came from Dublin, CA: No, he
bought it quite a while ago in the greater San Jose, CA area.

David Deutsch made a valid point about previous owners.  It's their
right to make whatever changes they like to their cars.  When sold,
ultimate responibility has to be with the buyer to check it out and
know what he's getting.  In this case, Brother Ed is happy he has the
stronger 5 main bearing engine.  We were not trying to persecute the PO
for non-disclosure, we just need to figure out what we have here.

Thanks for any advice the list members have for us.

Don Daves  <dondaves@ix.netcom.com>
Santa Cruz, CA
65 Sunbeam Tiger (his)
64 1/2 Mustang conv. (hers)