Re: 59 MGA

To: Don Daves <dondaves@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: 59 MGA
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 16:05:16 -0600 (MDT)
On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Don Daves wrote:

> didn't notice, that the engine tag says 18G and that there are pipe
> plugs in place above the exhaust ports for the air injection equipment
> - looks to me like a MGB engine was slipped in.
>
> Any way to tell what year "B" this engine came from?  It has SU carbs

If you have an engine number there are plenty of people on the list who
can give you the year.  The air holes mean the head is at least as new as

> on it but don't know if they're from the "A" or the "B" engine.  It
> does have the original chrome MGA air filters in place.  The trans

Chrome MGA air filters?  Must be aftermarket.  Stock were black.

> How does this transplant affect the value of the car?

Don't know, but I know several guys here in Albuquerque who have put
1800s in their A's.  I like to stay original.  One guy's car is _highly_
modified: B engine, C SUs, electric fan, electronic ignition,
non-original metallic paint, minilites, etc.  Wins a lot of awards at
various shows.  I don't like it nearly as much as my completely stock
1600.  To each his own.

> One last question, it has an electric tach installed - looks just like
> the one my old '65 MGB had.  My experience with older Healys and early
> Sprites shows those cars having mechanical tachs.  Did MG use electric
> tachs in 1959 or is this another "improvement" by the PO?

Mechanical is correct.

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA                kevins@khoral.com
Khoral Research Inc.                      http://www.khoral.com
Albuquerque NM USA