Evil, Evil Clunck...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Evil, Evil Clunck...
From: lokidog@juno.com (Ross A Goldberg)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 07:43:00 EDT
Hello,

After 5 months without my 1966 MG (it has been in storage after been
moved accross the country until our new home renovations were complete) I
went for my first summer drive (sad but true) to find a new clunk... and
a bad one.

The car always made a slight clunk in the rear end when I went into
reverse and I assume I would eventually have to do a rebuild, but now the
problem is worse.  The car now sounds like either the rear end, or shocks
(I changed to gas shocks a few years back) are "loose".  When the car
goes over bumps in the road (even the smallest) the car makes a sound
(from behind the seats) that sounds like the muffeler is hitting the
ground... but the muffeler is secure.  Also, sometimes when I apply the
brakes -- light or hard -- the left rear wheel locks (yikes!)

After a visual inspection (my tools are still all packed away) everything
seems to be in order.  I thought perhaps the shock was loose and moving
up and down on the mounting bolts, but as far as I can tell that is not
the case.

Does this sound like a rear axle problem?  Shock problem?  Brake problem?
 Is my wheel loose at the hub?

Please help.... and if I need real repairs can someone please point me in
the direction of a trustworthy, reliable, and knowledgable MG mechanic in
the New Jersey area (between Newark and PA).

Thanks!!!
Ross