Re: TD Paint Question

To: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Subject: Re: TD Paint Question
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 06:54:43 -0700
At 10:20 AM 9/15/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm getting ready to paint my TD. As far as I can tell, it has had at least
>two previous paint jobs by the DPOs. There is little evidence as to the
original
>color (I have my heart set on ivory anyway.). My question is: How is the
>underside of the wings (front fenders) supposed to be finished? Is it supposed
>to have the same paint as the top? Is it supposed to have some type of
>undercoating? If undercoating, what color? I can see a dilemma here. The
>underside of the wings must take a pretty good beating so you would want to
>use undercoating. But it is also visible, so you would want it to look
>pretty. I'm not a fanatic about exact originality, so I'm open to solutions
>that have worked out well for others.
>
>Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s

Hi Bob,

My TC's wing undersides are painted black with some type of undercoat type
paint ( ie POR 15)  It looks okay and is very easy to maintain but they
should be body colour, same finish as top side.  Most of the T's in our club
have the wing bottoms body colour right down to where they meet the black
frame. It's a matter of personal preference unless your into concourse
competition (yecchh!)  but when I do the body on the TC (if I ever get the
GT finished!) my wings will be body colour top and bottom.

Cheers,

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT