Re: TD Paint Question

To: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Subject: Re: TD Paint Question
From: Bill Harkins <wharkns@inetworld.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 19:42:37 -0700
At 10:20 AM 9/15/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm getting ready to paint my TD. As far as I can tell, it has had at least
>two previous paint jobs by the DPOs. There is little evidence as to the
original
>color (I have my heart set on ivory anyway.). My question is: How is the
>underside of the wings (front fenders) supposed to be finished? Is it supposed
>to have the same paint as the top? Is it supposed to have some type of
>undercoating? If undercoating, what color? I can see a dilemma here. The
>underside of the wings must take a pretty good beating so you would want to
>use undercoating. But it is also visible, so you would want it to look
>pretty. I'm not a fanatic about exact originality, so I'm open to solutions
>that have
>worked out well for others.

The original T-series MGs all had the under side of all panels painted the
same as the visible side. As to undercoating, unless you are using your car
as a daily driver in snowy weather, I wouldn't do it. There was no
undercoating used by the factory. Most undercoatings are a thick tar-like
substance that is very unsightly. It would certainly detract from resale value.

Bill Harkins