Re: MG stands for?

To: gallianp@onyx.xtalwind.net (Paul Gallian)
Subject: Re: MG stands for?
From: donmathis@lucent.com
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 10:42:37 -0400
At 07:40 PM 9/17/96 -0600, you wrote:
>>What does MG stand for - this is a question that has annoyed me for quite
>>awhile!!!?
>
>My wife Melissa say it  is her initials ---->    M)elissa G)allian
>Also she says as she pays the credit cards bills for Moss/Abingdon ----> MY
>GOSH!
>
>I say  My Garaged car.
>
>+--------------------------------------------------------+
> "Windows is like a Mac in the same way that a transvestite is like a
> real woman.  It's 95% the same, and actually what some people would
>prefer,  but not really the same for those who care about small
>differences".
>                               -- John C. Dvorak, quoting his wife
>
>1952- MG-TD
>Paul Gallian
>gallianp@onyx.xtalwind.net
>gallian_p@popmail.firn.edu
>http://www.xtalwind.net/~gallianp/index.html
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been listening to this question for several years now and actually
expect it come up again in another year or so.  We always hear about "Morris
manufacturing tractors" and "garages".......

Actually,the first MG medallion was manufactured by a small Lucas subsidiary
called "Lucas Logos".  The medallion was actually supposed to be, "MT"
which stood for "Morris Tractors" but the Lucas Logo people got it incorrect
and made it "MG".  Since manufacturing was behind schedule, because of a
mysterious electrical problem in the cars, they just used the "MG" logos
rather than take the time to have more manufactured. They had planned to
changed back on the next series of cars to be manufactured but the plant
foreman, who was originally from Korea, liked the "MG" logo since it rhymed
with Kimchee, a Korean delicacy of fermented cabbage. To this very day, the
MG is known in Korea as the Kimchee.  Very few people know about this and
I'm pleased to finally set the record straight.

Don Mathis,Ph.D.
LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES
donmathis@lucent.com
'61 MGA     '37 Bentley