Re: MG stands for?

To: donmathis@lucent.com
Subject: Re: MG stands for?
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 10:51:52 -0400 (EDT)

> At 07:40 PM 9/17/96 -0600, you wrote:
> >>What does MG stand for - this is a question that has annoyed me for quite
> >>awhile!!!?
> >
> I've been listening to this question for several years now and actually
> expect it come up again in another year or so.  We always hear about "Morris
> manufacturing tractors" and "garages".......
>
> Actually,the first MG medallion was manufactured by a small Lucas subsidiary
> called "Lucas Logos".  The medallion was actually supposed to be, "MT"
> which stood for "Morris Tractors" but the Lucas Logo people got it incorrect
> and made it "MG".  Since manufacturing was behind schedule, because of a
> mysterious electrical problem in the cars, they just used the "MG" logos
> rather than take the time to have more manufactured. They had planned to
> changed back on the next series of cars to be manufactured but the plant
> foreman, who was originally from Korea, liked the "MG" logo since it rhymed
> with Kimchee, a Korean delicacy of fermented cabbage. To this very day, the
> MG is known in Korea as the Kimchee.  Very few people know about this and
> I'm pleased to finally set the record straight.

  This episode is thoroughly covered in a book put out by Bentley
Motorbooks.  I highly recommend it for anybody interested in British
automotive history:

        "Famous mispellings in the Motor Industry, Vol. 1 - Britian"

----
Jeremy DuBois                              jer@thlogic.com
Manager, Info Systems                      http://www.thlogic.com/~jer/
Thermalogic Corporation                    '60 TR3A, '74 MGB, '76 Spit