Re: British Car Quality

To: edm107 <edm107@psu.edu>
Subject: Re: British Car Quality
From: Bill Harkins <wharkns@inetworld.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:45:23 -0700 (PDT)
At 07:57 PM 9/15/96 -0400, you wrote:
>To All,
>
>Since purchasing my first MGB as a restoration project last year I've
>heard quite a few comments on the quality of British cars (...flow
>through oil systems, etc., etc.). My question is, what really are the
>weak spots in the design and construction of British cars? Is it
>material quality? Poor design? Also, are there any parts that can be
>replaced with newer, improved parts? I would really like to hear a
>discussion of this.

In the fifties, we had a saying that went, "The Germans can cast better than
the British can machine". Incidentally, I have never owned any German cars
other than a few VWs.

As to T-type MGs, there is a cottage industry out there creating redesigned
parts, new seals, substitutions from non-British cars, better chemicals and
many other improvements to make them better than the factory of the 30's and
40's.

Bill Harkins