engine compression

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: engine compression
From: Lewis Dove <ldove@macomb.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 10:25:52 -0700
Hi again,
  Thanks for help on my starter problem.  I sprayed the starter drive
with WD-40 and the noise went away - - at least for now.  I have a good
idea of what to look for if the problem recurs and is more serious.
  Now for something new: I am planning a 3000+ mile trip later this month
and have been having really bad oil loss problems. I found a leak in the
oil hoses and replaced them along with the oil cooler. I still
lose/consume oil, so I checked the engine compression, warming the
engine, pulling the plugs, blocking the throttle open, etc. Here is what
I found, before and after squirting oil into the cylinders:
cylinder #  compression (psi)before oil  compression after oil
   1                  124                        133
   2                  132                        135
   3                  127                        131
   4                  133                        137
the plugs in cylinders 2 and 3 are a nice clean tan; the plugs in the
cylinders 1 and 4 are sooty and black. My conclusions are:
All the pressures are low, but perhaps I have a bad gauge
The rings are not sealing properly and are probably worn
Nigel is a '65 MGB with a US spec. engine
  What do you think?  I haven't driven it long enough following the oil
lines and cooler replacement to know about oil loss/consumption now.
Would you trust it for a 3500 mile trip?
   Anxiously,
                 Lew Dove