engine compression

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: engine compression
From: Lewis Dove <ldove@macomb.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 13:56:33 -0700
Thanks to all who replied to my note. I have a copy of a Clymer
Publication "MGA-MGB service-repair Handbook" which gives some typical
compression pressures for engines in good condition:
MGA 1500         130 psi
MGA 1600         135 psi
MGA 1600 Mark II 148 psi
MGB through 1974 160 psi
MGB 1975-76      130 psi
  These would all be US specification models; shaving, decking, and
reboring would all increase the compression pressures.  I didn't think
about a hotter cam with it's increased valve overlap.  I guess that is a
possibility on my car; the car won't idle below about 1200 rpm, even when
warm. The engine doesn't have an identification tag on it; it does have
the early head without provision for air ports and the 5-main bearing
engine block. The valve timing marks on the sprockets are lined up
correctly. My compression pressures of 124 - 133 psi still seem low to
me.
                             Lew Dove