engine compression

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: engine compression
From: Lewis Dove <ldove@macomb.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 19:06:56 -0700
Thanks for all your help.  Our internet connection has been acting up, so
some of your replies came in late.  I put 200 miles on the car today and
lost a quart of oil.  I couldn't deal with that on a 3,500 mile trip so
Nigel stays home and I use a (yawn) alternate.  I do have a fairly
serious oil leak somewhere else - not in the oil cooler I replaced - but
I also believe some of it is being burned.  The consensus of the Net
seems to be that valve guides and/or seals in cylinders #1 and 4 are bad.
 This winter I will pull the head and have hardened valve seats and
valves fitted. That should improve matters, although an improvement there
may make oil loss past the rings worse.
  If you are going to be at Abingdon, IL this weekend, look for a red '65
MGB tourer with dual fender-mounted mirrors, a luggage rack and a
persistent oil drip. Meanwhile, I will pull myself off the list until I
return late this month.  Thanks again for all your help!
                Lew Dove