Re: Need Fender Bender Advice (No LBC content)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Need Fender Bender Advice (No LBC content)
From: "John A. Wise" <wise@db.erau.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:58:58 -0800
>     ...Should I stick it to the
>     lady who hit the car?  She did give me her insurance information.  Or
>     should I just go my merry way with a slightly dimpled bumper?

FHIW - I had a person rearend my Porsche.  I looked it over & the car
looked ok.  I  got all the other drivers info & called my insurance just to
be safe.  My insurance company said take my car to a good body shop.  I
said, "it looks like the 5 mph bumpers worked fine."  I forgot about it.

Several yearas later I was working on the bumper & found that several of
the aluminum castings inside the bumper had broken.  They probably were
craked by the accident and then the contsant vibration of driving in
Pittsburgh PA streets finally caused them to fail.

I paid the price to get get them fixed. And porsche parts are expensive.

My advice is to find an honest garage and have them check out your car
before you make any decisions.  The car's unibody might be bent enough to
mess up steering, alignment etc - even though it looks fine on the outside.

And after all you are NOT *sticking it* to the person, if you only ask them
to return your car to the condition it was in before they hit it.

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CHFP                       Tel: (+1) (904) 226-6384
Center for Aviation/Aerospace Research          Fax: (+1) (904) 226-7050
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University            E-mail: wise@db.erau.edu
600 South Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900      USA