Re: Need Fender Bender Advice (No LBC content)

To: Michael.Lytton@sierra.com
Subject: Re: Need Fender Bender Advice (No LBC content)
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 12:30:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 3 Oct 1996 Michael.Lytton@sierra.com wrote:

>      Sorry to bomb the list, but I need advice.
>
>      My Other Car (an 89 Honda CRX) got hit in a parking lot, right on the
>      rear bumper.  The damage appears to be slight and cosmetic, but my
>      wife claimed the impact felt like it lifted the car right up in the
>      air.  It drives fine though.
>
>      I have a feeling that a mechanic will say, "Your bumper is fine, but
>      to fix the cosmetic damage I'll have to replace the whole bumper at
>      $700 (or some other large sum of money)."  Should I stick it to the
>      lady who hit the car?  She did give me her insurance information.  Or
>      should I just go my merry way with a slightly dimpled bumper?

If you are dead certain there is no hidden damage, don't mind the dimple,
and you intend to keep the car until it is worthless, then you can be a
nice guy if you want.

If you plan to sell the car any time soon, however, you can bet the buyer
will deduct $500 for the bumper, so it is sensible to have her pay.  You
can opt to live with the dent and keep the money if you'd rather.

My general feeling is you have a right to be made whole, whether you
think the damage is serious or not.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910