Re: Basic Tools

To: Engelhardt <engel@metro.net>
Subject: Re: Basic Tools
From: glen@pegasus.unm.edu
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 13:11:57 -0600 (MDT)
On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Engelhardt wrote:

> > What are your thoughts on tools?  Please mention any of the brands > above
>as I am considering them.  I'd like to hear from professionals > as well as
>others like myself.
>
> My father purchased an SK Wayne half-inch socket set for me when I was
> about ten. After years (close to 40) of sometimes hard use, they are
> still as good as new. On the other hand, I have managed to destroy some
> Craftsman sockets over the years. Sears did replace the sockets but it
> was kind of a pain having to go to the store.
>
> Ron
> 58 MGA

one note i would like to make about craftsmen tools. for the most part i
think they are good solid tools for the do it yourselfer. i have some
sockets and things that have lasted me for years. i did however recently
purchase one of their screwdriver sets that comes with 20 some odd
screwdrivers. the tips on these things were very soft, and after a while
of normal use they are starting to look battered. these are the
screwdrivers that look like they have a bead blasted surface over the
entire length of the metal shaft. it's like they were not properly heat
treated or something. in any case i wouldnt reccomend these to anyone.
when buying a screwdriver, make sure it has a good hardened tool steel
tip.
        also thanks to all who pointed out moss's web page. i had no idea
they came up with one.

glen