Re: Two cylinders run rich??

To: Michael E Hartwig <mhartwig@odin.cbu.edu>
Subject: Re: Two cylinders run rich??
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:50:18 -0500
Michael E Hartwig wrote:

> Any ideas, everybody.  I took a look at the plugs in my '78 B and the two
> plugs from the 1 and 4 cylinders have a black soot on them, indicating
> they are running rich(right?).  The plugs from two and three cylinders
> are a nice tan color, indicating that they're fine(mixture just right).

And how did you run the motor the last ten minutes before you pulled the
plugs? If you were jamming down the highway, cut the motor, and pulled to a
stop to check the plugs I'd say, yeah that's pretty weird.

If the car was poking through the neighborhood or sitting in the garage
idling, I'd say it was normal. The 'B' head runs a siamesed center exhaust
port for holes 2 and 3. This provides pretty good scavenging for the center
two cylinders at low engine sppeds while the outer two just limp along as
best they can.

I wouldn't worry about it. Especially with stock exhaust manifold.

Go drive it,

Bob Allen, Kansas City