Re: SU question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU question
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 09 Oct 1996 14:34:43 -0500
In <199610091853.MAA22169@triumph.cs.utah.edu>, Cram, Geoff wrote:
>Somewhere I recall hearing  that the SU company was called Sugden, and
>that they used to manufacture plumbing components before embarking on
>carburation, also that they were the lowest bidder in their first
>non-plumbing contract.  I'm sure this story is one of the following:
>
>A) Completely Untrue
>B) Not the Whole Story
>C) Partly True
>
>Can anyone out there Cast the Light of Truth on this apocrypha and/or
>tell more about the history of this mythical company?

Door # 1 (A) is correct sir.  The story is balderdash.  Rot.

The company's name was (is?) Skinner Union, and it was a leather
company.  It made seals for automotive applications, and in the
process of developing seals someone came up with the notion of the
variable-throat venturi (of the details of this I am not wholly
certain....). Nothing to do with plumbing or Sugden.

                        A. B. Bonds