Re: [MGB] fuel mixture with K&N filters

To: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Subject: Re: [MGB] fuel mixture with K&N filters
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:37:46 -0500 (CDT)
> Yes! The name K&N comes from the fact that they filter out K
> (potassium) and N (nitrogen) if you use the special oil they sell. Now
> there isn't much potassium in air but there is 80% Nitrogen. After the
> air goes through the filter the nitrogen is removed so for the same
> volume of air there is more oxygen. Thus you need richer needles.

Really.  I had absolutely no idea.

So you're saying that air is actually 80% nitrogen, of which the K&N
filters remove - what - all of it?  Half?  That could turn out to be a
big oxygen increase.

So do the richer needles use the same taper as the stock needles in a
thinner version?  That would make the most sense to me.  I suppose you
could simply compensate by lowering the jet, at the loss of some range
of adjustability, no?

And how do you tune the carbs with all that nitrogen rushing in when the
filters are removed?

--

Todd "You learn something new every <unit time>" Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with twin HIF4s and paper filters

"I could go at any time..."