Re: [MGB] fuel mixture with K&N filters

To: ulix@u.washington.edu, RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com
Subject: Re: [MGB] fuel mixture with K&N filters
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 14:09:24 -0400

> I think the vacumn would stay constant because the piston is supposed
> to rise and fall to maintain a constant vacumn. So a blocked
> air filter would cause the piston to rise which also raises the
> needle which makes the mixture richer. Does anybody know in fact
> if the SU carburetor is senitive to the air flow resistance of the
> filter? If so it sounds like one should make sure the air filter is
> clean before adjusting the carb!

I understand that the vacuum which raises the pistons, in the SU carb, is
generated by the velocity of the airflow through the carb, not manifold
vacuum. Since a clogged air filter reduces the airflow the vacuum above
the piston is reduced, dropping the needle further down in the jet
maintaining the air/fuel mixture.

Of course extreme clogging will probably induce manifold vacuum through
the carb to the jet and cause flooding.

- -Mark "This post actually contains facts" Jurras