Re: Oil starvation

To: arm@unix.infoserve.net
Subject: Re: Oil starvation
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:47:25 -0400
In a message dated 96-10-16 19:52:22 EDT, arm@unix.infoserve.net (Ross
MacPherson) writes:

<< Regarding your oil pressure over 6000 rpm:

..... co-worker.  .....stated that your pick up was partially obstructed.

..... anecdotal quick fix. .....

..... shut the motor off, engae the clutch and immediately allow it to coast
down the hill backwards.  ..... motor will run backwards and the pump will
force any oil still on the discharge side back through the pickup. .....

..... I called bulls*%t but this guy swears it works. ..... >>

Well maybe, IF the the engine was really filthy inside, and IF the clog was
some soft gunky stuff that could be blown out with back flow, and IF that
stuff would disolve inside the pickup screen before getting sucked back up
the tube again, and IF .........., yeah, a long shot.  I think you called it
right.

This engine is CLEEEAN inside.  I had the oil pump disassembled for
inspection about 10 hours before the incident, and again afterward.  No
obstruction in the pickup tube.  But I think your co-worker is definitely on
the right track.  I'm pretty sure the oil starvation is occuring somewhere
between the oil pan and the pump.

On further considertion, there's this light bulb flashing like crazy in my
head.  I have already asked what is the flow rate of the oil pump, but no
response.  I asked if an oil pump could cavitate, but no response.  I know
the pickup tube is very close to the bottom, and someone suggested maybe too
close.  I'm going immediately to the garage to do some serious inspection and
testing.  Watch this station for further update later tonight.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA