Re: Damn Cats!....and hogs!....and deer!!!

To: "MIKE LAMBDIN, CANS" <E720LAM@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Damn Cats!....and hogs!....and deer!!!
From: edward <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 10:15:12 -0400
MIKE LAMBDIN, CANS wrote:

> >Subj:  RE: Damn Cats!....and hogs!...and dogs!

> >I was told once that try to avoid hitting animals but not at the expense of
> >your safety.  However, avoid hitting hogs!  They are so massive that the
> >damage done is amazing.
> >Don Mathis,Ph.D.
> >LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES
> >donmathis@lucent.com
> >'61 MGA
> >'37 Bentley
>
> Cats and farm animals aren't the only horizontaly traveling creatures
> for whom we should look-out. While driving a VW bug I had a dog run
> into my path. The "monster" was a cross between a Great Dane and a
> Mastiff. The dog rolled over a few times and continued on its way. I,
> however, had to be towed away - the right fender was caved into the tire,
> which was shreaded. Of course none of the neighbors admitted owning the
> beast, although it was seen in the neighborhood regularly.
>
> Such is life.>

> Mike Lambdin

Upon returning from a family visit in the dark, I noticed the left head
light of my TD had blown out.  As I was leaving early the next morning
for a car meeting in Baltimore, I tried to fix the problem which turned
out to be a broken filament, and not replaceable that night.  I set off
next morning shortly before dawn, running only on the side lights, and,
withing two miles of leaving the house, entered a dark patch of tree
covered roadway.  I saw the teeth of the deer only a split second before
the impact, illuminated in the left side light.  Hitting the head of the
deer caused it to spin around, and the body struck the drivers door, and
my elbow, which was sore and stiff for a week.  The deer then struck the
rear wing, pushing it hard onto the tyre and causing the car to spin.  I
had ten seconds of intense excitement in trying to sort it out, and
finally stopped in a reasonably collected manner.  The car had $2000
worth of repairs to it.  I consider myself lucky as I had been driving
with the windscreen down flat, and just the racing screen in place.  Had
I struck the deer full on, it could well have removed my head when it
came over the top.  I was so angry, I got out of the car and went to
kick it, but as I approached, it got up and ran into the forest.  The
anger was, of course, with myself for being stupid enough to try to get
a few extra miles in before I no longer needed the lights.  The morals
of this sorry tale are obvious.  However, here in Pennsylvania we shoot
the deer!

Geoff Love

The English Connection.