Re: Clutch Pedal

To: Strain Aaron <astrain@pulsenetwork.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Pedal
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:34:09 +0000
<From: astrain @ pulsenetwork.com ("Strain, Aaron") @ USDESMTP
<Date: 10/24/96 12:36:22 PM
<Subject: Clutch Pedal
<
<I just purchased a 69 Midget about 3 months ago and have been learning a
<great deal from this list.  My father is an auto shop owner/ mechanic
<(alignment, balancing, brakes) and former racer.  He always told me to stay
<away from British cars and convertibles.   I didn't listen and we're having a
<great time maintaining this car together.
<
<The Question:  More than 50% of the time, when I release the clutch pedal, it
<returns very slowly.  This is disturbing and I'm not sure what the problem is.
<Should I replace the rubber components and hose in the hydraulic system and
<bleed it?  How do I know if the master or slave cylinder should be replaced?
<
<Thanks in advance for any responses.
<
<Aaron Strain
<SF, CA
<'69 Midget

I had a similar problem on my TD. It turned out to be the old grease in
the actual pedal bearing. The old grease had turned to the consistency of
molasses in January. The pedal box has a grease fitting which I had pumped
new grease into, but it failed to displace the old grease. I landed up
flushing the pedal bearings with WD-40. I also had to unscrew the grease
fitting and clean out the old stuff with a pipe cleaner (the fuzzy thing
pipe smokers use). Don't trust 45 year old grease. This may not be your
problem, since your car is only 27 years old. Also your clutch is hydraulic,
where as the TD is mechanical. But if you can disconnect the linkage
between the pedal and the master cylinder, see if the pedal itself is the
culprit.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
71 MGB, still in the shop, 11 months and counting (the TD is winning)