Re: Clutch Pedal

To: "Strain, Aaron" <astrain@pulsenetwork.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Pedal
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:05:26 +0000
Strain, Aaron wrote:

> The Question:  More than 50% of the time, when I release the clutch pedal, it
> returns very slowly.

Besides the post about crap in the flex line, also be aware of two springs.
There should be a spring that is inside the footwell between the pedal and the
upper firewall. If that spring is present, the clutch pedal should always
bounce
back even if the clutch master cylinder doesn't.

Secondly, there is a spring inside the master cylinder itself. When you rebuild
the clutch master cylinder, this spring (as I remember) is the last thing that
falls out. This spring aids in "pumping up" the hydraulic line and keeping
ready
pressure for actuation. (I've had this spring wear in two.)

If either, or both, of these springs are missing, you can, to varying degrees,
get the problems you have described.

If you care about the car and plan to keep it, just replacing Master and Slave
with rebuilt units, and a new rubber flex-hose goes a long way towards
forgiving
the boneheads for putting in that non-synchro first.

You can rebuild them yourself (the parts or cheap) but you need to hone the
inside of the cylinders and I've never found a good tool for that. Finally, the
"Might Vac II" tool is a great for sucking the new fluid through the line. The
"E-Z bleed" that uses air pressure to force fluid through the system from the
top really sucks (or blows?). Cheaply made and has a great potential for
spewing
brake fluid all over the pedal box and engine compartment. (I own them both and
will sell the later real, real cheap.)

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69MGC/GT

--
*** STANDARD DISCLAIMER
*** Please assume all lines end with smiley face emoticon :-)