76B Corn, rust, paint and other musings.

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 76B Corn, rust, paint and other musings.
From: "James " <dirmeyer@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 21:46:29 -0400
In order to get back my 77B from my wife, she's making me restore her 76B
and for the last couple of weeks I've been merily taking parts off her car
(hoping I remember where they go otherwise I will have to hide the
big-box-o-extra-parts.)  I had intended on just stripping off the trim and
having a decent paint job done, but it seems that for everything that I
pull off there is something else that should come off just to make it a
little better.  Anyways...where should I stop?  I'm tempted to do the
engine compartment, but my wife doesnt' think that it's necessary.  Is it
worth the trouble considering I went as far as taking off the dash,
windshield, bumpers, etc.?

Also, after taking out the seats and carpets I discovered that the front
floor panels have a lot of rust (able to poke holes through with a
screwdriver), but it doesnt go any farther than the front of the seats on
both sides.  The sill cover has a little surface rust but appears to be
solid.  Is there any way of checking the inner sill for possible rusting?
Aside from a little surface rust in spots, the rest of the car is in pretty
good shape.