Crossflow heads, Orbitals, Apologies

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Crossflow heads, Orbitals, Apologies
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 08:46:30 -0600
Stephen-
Thanks for your post on the cross flow head.  It sounds very interesting.
I don't remember if you mentioned it on this post but I believe that it is
made out of aluminum.  If all things are equal, I believe that an aluminum
head will allow about one point higher compression ratio (9:1 vs 8:1) to be
used with the same detonation resistance due to its higher heat rejection
(it runs cooler inside by transfering more heat to the coolant).  New
Corvettes and Mustangs have 10:1 compression ratios and are often
aftermarket supercharge at around 6-8 psi boost.  They also have the latest
in electronic engine management so they can run at the ragged edge of
detonation.

The crossflow head combined with the Judson would make an interesting
setup.  It would probably have tremendous horsepower potential.  Now if you
could just strengthen that transmission...

Paul's information on the Orbital was also quite interesting.  It sounds
much more current than the information that I based my last post on.

Finally, I apologize for any mis-information that I have given and also in
advance for any bull***t I may sling in the future.  I hope that I make
clear the difference between "fact" and "the best of my knowledge" or "my
opinion" in my posts.  I believe that this forum is to promote interesting
automotive discussion among like minded individuals- preferably with some
LBC content.  I am not trying to write an SAE paper.  I know that I know
more about these subjects now than when they were first brought up.
Someone voices a need or opinion and someone with more information fills in
the blanks.  That is the way it is supposed to work.

Geeze, I really can't wait until good weather again to get the A out.
Maybe I'll go out and pull some parts off and paint them.  The work and the
fumes will help me remember I'm just a dumb engineer not some political
activist.

Regards
Bill Eastman
61 MGA