Re: A question for all MG enthusiasts

To: HARTLEY_MC@Mercer.PeachNet.EDU
Subject: Re: A question for all MG enthusiasts
From: tclennon@ix.netcom.com (Thomas C. Lennon)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:44:58 -0800
You wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I've got a question for everyone to ponder.
>
>I'm thinking about getting an MGA as a project car.  I've never owned
>and MG, but one of my good friends had a Midget until finances forced
>him to sell it.  He and I did most of the mechanical work on that car,

>but that is the only experience I've had with working on MGs.  I know
my
>way around a car, but I've never tried to restore one before.
>
>Is it a good idea for me to get a project car, or should I shoot for a

>driver?  Any other information that you think will help me I'd
>appreciate.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Mike Hartley
>hartley_mc@mercer.peachnet.edu
>

>Date sent:  10-NOV-1996 17:31:12

I'm new to this service but have been reading wiht enjoyment many of
the postings. My two cent answer to your question is this: Do you want
to drive the car, do you want to restore the car, or do both?  I have
been restoring my 68B for four years and am doing so because I like
Working On The Car.  I know I will enjoy taking it to shows and of
course driving it when the time comes.  I will probably buy another car
then, so that I can have more to work on.
I should give you some warnings---MG's are infectious.  They spread. I
bought a 68 to restore. Now I have a 68 parts car, and got a 74 GT to
drive. Next week I will get another parts car. It's hard to own just
one.  Second, when you price out the cost, be prepared for overruns...I
mean like a factor of 4x your best guess.  But, also be warned that
these cars have a pull on your heart, like women. Have you noticed all
the pet names?
I actually wish I had started with an MGA. They are pretty classy,
drive firm like a real sports car, and have great lines. (am I talking
about cars or women?)
Whatever your choice, good luck!!

Tom Lennon  BRG 68B  3/4 done