Re: A question for all MG enthusiasts

To: HARTLEY_MC@Mercer.PeachNet.EDU, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A question for all MG enthusiasts
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 12:13:19 -0800
At 05:39 PM 11/10/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>
>I've got a question for everyone to ponder.
>
>I'm thinking about getting an MGA as a project car.  I've never owned
>and MG, but one of my good friends had a Midget until finances forced
>him to sell it.  He and I did most of the mechanical work on that car,
>but that is the only experience I've had with working on MGs.  I know my
>way around a car, but I've never tried to restore one before.
>
>Is it a good idea for me to get a project car, or should I shoot for a
>driver?  Any other information that you think will help me I'd
>appreciate.

Hi Mike and welcome to the fold!

I see others on the list have responded in their usual sage manner. I'll
just add one point I haven't seen in any responses yet.

Do NOT buy a project car thinking it will be cheaper to fix it up than to
buy a good one.  It's against the laws of nature.   Any restoration project,
regardless of the skill of the restorer will cost more than buying a
finished car.

As was said before, if you want to drive, buy the best car you can afford.
Unless your MG purchse is bank rolled by King Midas the car you get will
need something.  You can still get your wrench pulling fix even with a
"restored" car.

Have fun!
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT