Re: MGF and Wedge Princesses

To: glenel@infobahnos.com
Subject: Re: MGF and Wedge Princesses
From: ncliffe@hfnet.bt.co.uk (Nigel Cliffe)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 08:06:27 +0000
Glen Eldridge wrote:

> Nigel Cliffe (me) wrote:
> > The F is a reasonably priced, reasonable performance sports car using
> > the best current component designs - probably the defining features of
> > any classic MG when it was new.

> I had the good fortune to stay in a hotel about 1 block away from a
> Rover dealer in South Kensington last summer, and I can't say I found
> the MGF prices reasonable at all.  They ranged from 19,000UKL to a
> whopping 29,880UKL for a fully-loaded model.

I assume you were seeing the looney second hand prices, the F is one of two
cars in the UK worth more second hand than new (the other being Morgan).
The reason is short supply - wait up to 9 months to get a new F. The UK
prices for a new F, on the road, are around 17,000 UKL to 20,000 UKL, same
price at any Rover dealer.

The under 20K VVC model comes with PAS, ABS, Leather seats, the only big
options are a hardtop (1UKL), CD player (0.4UKL). I've not added it up, but
I doubt EVERY extra in the catelogue could push the price to 29,000 UKL.

The UK tends to have higher car prices than the US. UK car prices include
17.5% sales tax. I can't comment on Canadian prices.
In the UK, the F is cheaper than the BMW Z3 (from 20,000 UKL, radio extra),
comparable with the Miata, cheaper than the Alfa Spider, dearer than the
Fiat Barchetta.
Compared to new ordinary family cars (say a Rover 400 or Ford Escort), the
F is about 40% more. From my memory, the B used to be about 40% extra over
a Morris Marina saloon.

> [.....]  At the prices I saw, BMW325's and Mercedes 190's are less
> expensive - Oh, I know, they don't have the Octagon, and they don't have
> the magic, the panache that Any MG does (I own two of them)........

At the prices you saw, I'd recommend anyone to either buy the BMW/Merc, or
join the waiting list for a new F. However, for some, time is money, they
cannot wait for the car they want. Kensington is a very wealthy part of the
UK.

- Nigel.

Nigel Cliffe       BT Labs, Martlesham, Ipswich         ncliffe@hfnet.bt.co.uk
              Opinions may or may not be those of my employers.