Re: Electronic Ignition Module for 1500

To: tboicey@isocan.com
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Module for 1500
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 21:42:41 EST
On Thu, 21 Nov 1996 20:58:48 -0500 Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>
writes:
>Longshot, but before I order one...
>
>  Does anyone have a spare Electronic Ignition module for
>the Midget 1500 (Triumph engine)?
>
>  Or any words of wisdom to add about choosing one? I'm
>looking at the Crane for now.
>
>  I have the original Electronic one, but it's intermittent,
>so I am running a points distributor temporarily.
>
>--
>-----------------------------------------Ottawa-Canada-GOSENSGO------
>        Trevor Boicey          1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget
>     tboicey@isocan.com             One parking spot left!

I bought a Midget for parts for my Morris Minor and decided it would be
pretty neat to replace the Morris distro with the electronic on from the
1500.  I beadblasted it and did all the necessary rewiring and
installation, only to find out that, like yours, it was intermttent.
Ran great for a few miles, then stopped, then started, then stopped, and
so on.....   So I went back to point and coil.

I have been running an Allison electronic ignition in my TR6.  It must be
working okay cause I haven't even thought about it for a couple of years.
 Only problem I have encountered is the fact that you have to grind some
plastic off the rotor to clear  the optical pickup.

Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea)
1966 Morris Minor