Re: Electronic Ignition Module for 1500

To: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Module for 1500
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 23:19:05 -0500
SCHWANGAU@aol.com wrote:
> >    Does anyone have a spare Electronic Ignition module for
> >  the Midget 1500 (Triumph engine)?
> >
> >    I have the original Electronic one, but it's intermittent,
> >  so I am running a points distributor temporarily.
>
> I assume you a referring to the unit mounted on the cowell next to the brake
> mc.  These are not too bad, really.  The older units integral  with the
> distributor were junk.

  Actually, this is the "junk" type that is integral to the distributor.
beleive this is the LUCAS "EID" system that was very quickly replaced
with the LUCAS "CEI" system, that had the external box.

  Apparently the EID was never "recalled", but any car that came in
with bad ignition was usually upgraded to CEI rather than attempting
to fix the terminally buggy EID. For a guestimation of how few
EID units are still serviceable, check out what it costs to buy
parts to repair it. Ouch.

  If I had the better one, I'd probably attempt to fix it or
more likely be having no problems at all. But given that this model
I have was never reliable, I am not trying too hard to keep it.

--
        Trevor Boicey          1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget