Re: Engine Back/Dan Hughes

To: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Back/Dan Hughes
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 18:45:18 -0600
>>  Just got the final call from my machinist today, and my engine is coming
>>back to me tomorrow.  Geez, it's about time.  It was in the shop for over
>>three months, longer than the body was gone this summer.  I'm starting to
>>see one of the reasons restorations take so long.
>>  Anyway, now that all the peices are coming back to me, do any of you who
>>are in the know about putting these engines back together have any good
>>advice?  Anything I should watch out for other than the standard stuff (Make
>>sure its all clean, double check all the measurements, etc).  Any hidden
>>gotcha's specifically with rebuilding an MGB engine?  Or anything that
>>really needs to be beating into my head in general about putting the engine
>>back together?
>>
>>                        Thanks in advance,
>>----
>>Jeremy DuBois                              jer@thlogic.com

Jeremy -
        John Twist at University Motors published a compilation of his tech
notes.
 There is a section on preparing the MGA/MGB block for rebuild - what
threads each bolt hole has for cleaning out with a tap - how to properly
clean the oil passages, etc.  There is also a section on the reassembly of
the engine - step by step - proper torque settings, etc.  The complete book
is about 150 pages - lots of MG info.  I think it was about $20.00.  You
can e-mail him at VRHS43A@prodigy.com.  Or, contact him at:
        University Motors
        6490 East Fulton St.
        Ada, Michigan  49301
        616.682.0800 (days)
        616.682.0801 (fax)

I have no financial interest, etc., but I like the book.
Wayne Kube      wkube@iadfw.net
'79B
Plano, TX       http://web2.airmail.net/wkube