Re: Do ALL TD's leak oil?

To: Roger Wilt <RDWILT@pol.net>
Subject: Re: Do ALL TD's leak oil?
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 19:23:24 -0500 (EST)
>I've got a 1950/51 (we're not sure-there are two titles) TD.
>The engine was recently rebuilt "professionally" by a well respected
>former Jaguar mechanic.  Everytime I stop, I leave a 3 inch puddle of
>oil. His explanation is that all TD's leak from the rear oil main and
>there is nothing he can do. This rebuild cost me over $4000!! Do I have
>grounds to complain???? HELP!!!!!

Roger:

As I understand it, the stock TD uses something called an oil-thrower for a
rear seal. These only seal when the engine is running, so when you turn off
the engine you get a couple of tablespoons of leakage before the oil settles
back into the pan. I've been informed that this is completely normal for a
stock TD. There is a more modern seal design available for the TD which
never leaks. Of course if you complety eliminate all the oil leaks, your TD may
no longer qualify as a British car!

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD under DIY restoration
71 MGB still in shop, 12 months and counting (the TD is winning)