Re: Parts suppliers

To: britcars@juno.com
Subject: Re: Parts suppliers
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 02:48:16 -0500
britcars@juno.com wrote:

> Recent correspondence has dealt with peoples' excitement at finding new
> sources for parts for our LBCs at prices lower than "the big three". Can
> I offer a thought that I feel should be borne in mind when choosing
> suppliers?
>
> In twenty years of restoring LBCs, I have found that buying for less is
> not always the best way to go. The smaller companies generally sell only
> the fast-moving, most frequently purchased items. Volume enables them to
> price these things lower. But when it comes to the hard-to-find parts
> that are so often critical to completing a restoration, they don't have
> them.
>
> These parts, often NLS from the original manufacturer, have in most cases
> been re-manufactured as a result of the investment of many thousands of
> dollars by the big three (especially Moss Motors). Without this
> investment on their part, I know our shop would not have been able to
> complete a lot of the jobs we have done. If we buy only these
> hard-to-find parts from the big three, their sales and profits fall, and
> they will be less likely to continue the investment needed to keep
> virtually everything we need in stock.
>
>  Doesn't it make sense, in the long run, to support the people who are
> willing to tie up lots of their money in helping keep our cars on the
> road, rather than putting money into the pockets of the people interested
> only in selling the fast-moving bits?
>
> Lawrie Alexander

I agree with you . . . to a point.  Since I started the Brit-Tek thread,
I should point out that the reason that I was interested was their
emphasis on go-fast parts.  I am not looking to build a fire breathing
mosnter, but conversely would like my B to be able to run a 10 second
0-60 time, and to do it with a smooth idle, and be reliable.  Moss and
others offer the same parts, but it seems that they aren't as attuned to
what mods make the most bang for the buck.  This seems to be Brit-Tek's
forte.

Believe me when I say that Moss, Vicky B, and Seven Industries already
get a lot of my paycheck.

Regards,

Chris Delling