Re: Parts suppliers

To: britcars@juno.com
Subject: Re: Parts suppliers
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 13:40:34 -0500
>Recent correspondence has dealt with peoples' excitement at finding new
>sources for parts for our LBCs at prices lower than "the big three". Can
>I offer a thought that I feel should be borne in mind when choosing
>suppliers?
>
>In twenty years of restoring LBCs, I have found that buying for less is
>not always the best way to go. The smaller companies generally sell only
>the fast-moving, most frequently purchased items. Volume enables them to
>price these things lower. But when it comes to the hard-to-find parts
>that are so often critical to completing a restoration, they don't have
>them.
>
>These parts, often NLS from the original manufacturer, have in most cases
>been re-manufactured as a result of the investment of many thousands of
>dollars by the big three (especially Moss Motors). Without this
>investment on their part, I know our shop would not have been able to
>complete a lot of the jobs we have done. If we buy only these
>hard-to-find parts from the big three, their sales and profits fall, and
>they will be less likely to continue the investment needed to keep
>virtually everything we need in stock.
>
> Doesn't it make sense, in the long run, to support the people who are
>willing to tie up lots of their money in helping keep our cars on the
>road, rather than putting money into the pockets of the people interested
>only in selling the fast-moving bits?
>
>Lawrie Alexander

Excellent point Laurie, however one small consideration is in order.  Most
of the smaller dealers are in fact simply re-selling parts made by the
larger dealers (Moss) or are purchasing from the same sources as Moss in
Britain.  The difference is that they are willing to take a smaller margin
for their effort and have lower overhead to justify that smaller margin.
If in fact they are taking business away from people like Moss which will
injure future reproduction then we will have a problem.

Further to the matter, I believe we will eventually have a problem.  Each
year the supply of a finite group of vehicles shrinks.  Many more cars
become garage queens with the increasing number of restorations which
become "too nice to drive".  In many ways restoration is becoming the cause
of its own death.  I don't have a solution except to state that we are a
part of a boomer hobby which I believe will eventually shrink dramatically,
with a corresponding outfall, as we age and no longer are able to
participate in the hobby to the fullest extent.  Fathers and mothers teach
your children or all is lost! :-

John McEwen

I'm probably older than most of you which means I get to experience it first.