Re: MGA Master Cylinder

To: dmeadow@flash.net
Subject: Re: MGA Master Cylinder
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 18:09:24 EST
On Fri, 3 Jan 1997 12:00:35 -0500 "David Littlefield" <dmeadow@flash.net>
writes:

>Thanks to all that responded to my post concerning my problem finding
the proper seals for my Master Cylinder. .....

>Turns out that my only solution was to find replacement pistons that
would accept the standard seals.  After numerous phone calls, British
Racing Green in Newark, Delaware (302) 368-1117, came to my rescue and
the new (used) pistons are working their way to me right now!

Wow!  David just solved a problem I've been hung on for a long time.
Occasionally a someone finds a 3/4" bore master cylinder in their MGA,
probably came form a midget or such.  It doesn't displace enough fluid,
so requires too long a pedal stroke.  Often these M/C's are also in need
of rebuild, and also often pitted in the bores.

A very reasonable solution would be to bore them out from 3/4" to 7/8"
and repack them with the MGA M/C rebuild kit.  But the hang up has always
been not being able to find the 7/8" pistons.  David, do you suppose they
have any more?

Does anyone know of a source for new 7/8" pistons for the MGA master
cylinder?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA