Re: MGA Master Cylinder

To: dmeadow@flash.net
Subject: Re: MGA Master Cylinder
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 00:58:31 EST
Barney Gaylord <barneymg@juno.com> wrote:

>.....  Occasionally a someone finds a 3/4" bore master cylinder in their
MGA, .....  A very reasonable solution would be to bore them out from
3/4" to 7/8" and repack them with the MGA M/C rebuild kit.  But the hang
up has always been not being able to find the 7/8" pistons.  .....

David Littlefield <dmeadow@flash.net> wrote:

> ..... Are you sure that just boring them out would work?  I wonder if
the relief holes would be in the right place and the right shape after
you are done, not to mention other nuances of the cylinder of which I may
not be aware.

>I don't know if British Racing Green has any more used ones, but Jarl
indicated he could whip up a few new ones on his lathe if there was
sufficient interest.  I could not find new ones anywhere, Moss doesn't
even give them a part number.

Well Dave,

I've had them side by side on a couple of occasions.  Near as I can tell
they're identical except for the main bores.  The fluid feed holes appear
to be in the same place.  I have a friend in this situation right now who
is about to go $$$$ for a new master cylinder.  I'm sure he would be
happy to be the guinea pig to try the rebore route.  Now about those

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA