Re: paint question

To: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>
Subject: Re: paint question
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 23:34:05 -0800
Nina Barton wrote:

> Got my car painted at the end of September.  Yesterday, I noticed that
> there was a small chip above the rear wheel, right down to the primer.
> Horrors!!!  Any suggestions on how to repair it and make it look as smooth
> and non-chipped as possible?  Would spray paint work better than merely
> trying to dab some paint into the chipped spot?  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.  Thanks in advance,   Nina

Hey Nina:

Here are my suggestions to your paint problem.  (I'm assuming that you
don't have a clear coat)  Either go back to the painter or the store
where the paint was purchased and obtain a small tuch up bottle worth of
the paint.  They come in small little bottles almost like whats used for
glue, etc, eexcept that that there is a small stainless steel marble
inside to aide in agitation of the paint.

Clean the damaged area of paint with a degreaser so that all car wax,
etc is removed and the touch up paint will be able to adhere to the car
body.  Shake up the paint so that it is mixed well.  Wait for a sunny
day (that may take forever here in rainy CA!!), then apply several THIN
layers of paint, waiting perhaps 30-45 minutes between the two
applications.

Continue to re-build the paint in the damaged area until it is slightly
higher than the surrounding good paint.  Then I would wait for several
days, maybe a week to make sure that the paint was completely dry.  Then
taking some 2000 grit Wet and Dry sandpaper (using lots of water in a
bucket, rinsing the paper frequently), sand the area, using a sandpaper
block, or even a small piece of a wooden 2X4, so that the paper will be
held flat.   The 2000 grit sandpaper shouldn't hurt the other areas of
your new paint.  When finished, rub out the "new" paint and wax as
usual.

Do others have tips/suggestions?  Hope this helps you!  BTW, did you get
my reply about your distributor question?

Cheers,

Jim Boyd
Paradise, CA