Re: paint question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: paint question
From: Ed Taylor <etaylor@nr.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 11:05:45 -0500
Nina Barton wrote:

> Got my car painted at the end of September.  Yesterday, I noticed that
> there was a small chip above the rear wheel, right down to the primer.
> Horrors!!!  Any suggestions on how to repair it and make it look as smooth
> and non-chipped as possible?  Would spray paint work better than merely
> trying to dab some paint into the chipped spot?  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.  Thanks in advance,   Nina

Nina. Fill in the chip gradually with touch up paint until just barely
higher than the surrounding paint. Do this in steps, and be sure and let
the
paint cure a day or so between steps. Then take 1500 Grit sandpaper
(available
at any auto paint supply store) and rub until smooth and blended with
surrounding
paint. The sandpaper will dull the finish of the surrounding paint, but
don't be
alarmed - just take a little rubbing compound (also available at auto
paint store) and
rub until the gloss returns.  I have done this dozens of times on
several cars, and the
chips are almost indistinguishable from the original paint.  I hope you
have some of the
original paint, or used a paint readily available in touch-up packaging.
If so,
you should be able to match the color very well.  Tell the guy at the
counter at the
auto supply store what you are doing.  They can usually recommend the
right materials
for the job.

Good luck with your project.
Ed in Greensboro, NC