re MGA 1600 (1962)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re MGA 1600 (1962)
From: crl@iafrica.com (C.R.LEAH)
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 97 21:05:25 GMT
To all who queried the 1962? date I quoted on my MGA 1600, the reason is that
the date was given me by the PO, and I have been trying to track down more
details. I believe she was locally assembled here in South Africa but as that
plant has manufactured Toyota's for 20 odd years, they have no records even for
my '66 Spitfire which still has the local assembly plate. I forgot to mention
that it would appear that some of the plates are missing. The DPO tells me he
might still have one, but still hasn't found it, so I don't have too much hope.
The chances are good that it could be '62 if it was assembled from CKD or SKD
with parts shipped in '61 from the UK.
If any fundi's (sorry, local word for expert) out there on the list can add any
light, the engine number is 16GAUH28525 and the VIN is B1945076728.
Unfortunately they did away with vehicle log books which gave some history of
the vehicle such as date of original registration, previous owners, etc and
replaced them with computer registration papers. Sign of the times, I suppose.
Apologies if this is a little long, but I would like to get as much info on the
car as I can.
Chris Leah, Durban, South Africa
MGA 1600 (1962???)
Spitfire MkII (1966)