Re: MG magazine, long

To: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Subject: Re: MG magazine, long
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:30:52 -0500
Leckstein wrote:

> In any event we are different here.I would hope every one on this list was
> a member of a club and Register for their car model . I can preach ,but we
> are for some reason lazy and  or cheap.
>
> Mike Leckstein

Mike-

I agree that U.S enthusiasts are different - but not for the reasons you
suggest.

I think the picture you paint of the "typical MG owner" here in the
states is flawed.  When these cars were new, it was an accurate
portrayal.  Now however, those owners are becoming fewer and fewer.  The
reason for this is a decline in the availability of spares from
"traditional outlets" ( i.e. the local dealer, Pep Boys, etc.), and the
lack of a dealer service network.  Very few of the casual owners you
describe are willing/capable of keeping their cars running.  Hence the
number of cars we all hear about "stored since 1981, doesn't run ...".

The concentration of all LBC's is lower here - were obviously more
geographically spread out.  It makes it harder for us to get together!
Same thing affects things like magazine ads.  Except for a select few
suppliers like Moss, most of our club magazines are supported by local
suppliers.  They aren't in a position to afford to pay for advertising
in a national publication - in particular due to the fact that Joe's
garage in Podunk, Idaho isn't going to draw much attention from
Backwater, Michigan.  And realistically, it may be fun to read British
Car mags from across the pond, but their appeal is limited.

It would be interesting to see how many big, glitzy magazines or clubs
are available to American car owner/enthusiasts in Europe!

Best Regards

Chris Delling