RE: Cylynder bore damage (and repair ??)

To: <maddox@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: Cylynder bore damage (and repair ??)
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:22:16 -0500
>>Does anyone have any experiences relating to repairing
>>a damages 1800cc block by sleeving???

Nope ... but that won't stop me from responding ... 'cause
I'm sure that others on the list will correct any erroneous
info. <g>.

>>Question is as to whether it is possible or advisable to
>>sleeve an engine such as this which starts out with rather
>>thin cylynder walls in the first place.

The block is overbored to accept the sleeve ... once the
sleeve is installed you fit standard pistons (+.000) so
(correct me if I'm wrong Barney <g>) the combination of
the sleeve and remaining cylinder wall equates to the
standard cylinder wall thickness ... the sleeve is actually
harder than the cast wall.

>>If sleeving has been carried out what problems am I likely
>>to encounter??

None that I am aware of ...

>>The option is of course  to find another doner lump and start
>>afresh and that may be the best course but ?????

Always an option ... but (Barney is not gonna like this <g>) you
also have the option of overboring to +.060 ... Brit-Tek has +.060
pistons for the same cost as +.010 thru +.040 pistons ... you can
have the block sonic tested to insure that the cylinder walls can
be overbored to +.060, but I've not heard of anyone having problems
with a +.060 overbore ... 18V blocks are overbored twice that much
to achieve 1950cc.

Good Luck ...

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
                      '61 MGA 1600 MkII