Re: Cylynder bore damage (and repair ??)

To: maddox@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Cylynder bore damage (and repair ??)
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:29:08 EST
On Mon, 13 Jan 1997 00:13:45 -0800 Cliff Maddox <maddox@pacbell.net>
writes:

>Does anyone have any experiences relating to repairing a damages
>1800cc block by sleeving???  I have a very recently rebuilt engine from
>my '65 which choked on a broken ring shortly into it's young life.  I
had
>just rebuilt the thing and it is currently at .030" over with damage
fairly
>severe but limited to just the one (#3) bore.

Cliff,

I had exactly this problem with my 1500 about five years ago.  It was a
fairly fresh engine, .030" overbore, broke a piston, and the wrist pin
bashed the cylinder wall pretty badly.  I had the one cylinder bored and
sleeved and the sleeve then rebored to .030" oversize to match the other
cylinders.  I only bought one new piston at the time because I knew the
source for the original pistons and could still buy one to match.

With your engine already .030" over it doesn't take much of a ding to
damage the cylinder walls past the .060" overbore size (just .015" on the
wall does it).  I doubt that it will clean up at .060" overbore.  Also,
one piston and one sleeve is a lot cheaper than four pistons and reboring
all cylinders.

If the cylinder wall is broken through into the water jacket it can still
be sleeved (usually).  The only requirement is that the break be midway
in the cylinder wall, not cracked at the top or bottom of the bore.  The
new sleeve is then commonly called a wet liner, but is nothing more than
a thick sleeve.

Sleeve and bore the one cylinder and put it back on the road.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA