RE: Cylynder bore damage (and repair ??)

To: <klh24@csufresno.edu>, <GOFASTMG@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Cylynder bore damage (and repair ??)
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 21:46:39 -0500
Rick Morrison wrote:

>>In answer to your question, will a .060" over bore
>>make your 1800 run hot, the answer is "Maybe"
>
>>The variable is the wall thickness of a particular
>>block.  If a block (any block) is bored too much,
>>the wall become thin enough to be pourous (sp?).
>>What that point of "too much" is,will vary from
>>block to block.
>>
>>But generally speaking, the 1800 B series engine
>>has enought meat to handle a .060" overbore with
>>no problems.  The fact is, the first "step" in making
>>a big bore out of a B series is to bore .080" oversize
>which will give you about 1920 cc. ... [snip]

Following are approximate ... IOW, within a cc or two.

+.020   1822cc
+.030   1833cc
+.040   1845cc
+.060   1868cc
+.080   1892cc
+.130   1950cc  <---- 18V w/ sonic testing to insure
                                      adequate cylinder wall thickness
                                      and proper core alignemnt.
                                      Actual bore may vary slightly
                                      depending on piston manufacturer.
> [snip] ...
>>A few of my local club members have done so with
>>no ill effects (other then the fact the car will scare the
>>Hell of you in a straight line!)

... ain't it great!  ;^)

>> It's very possible the person who told you the car
>>would run hot at .060 over had one done by a less
>>than precise machinist who (1) fitted the pistons too
>>tight (2) bored the block off center, (3) failed to properly
>>clean the block prior to working and the water passages
>>were less than full flowing, or (4) all of the above

Well stated ... just thought I would clarify the various
capacities for overboring.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
                           '61 MGA 1600 MkII