Refurbishing TD Steering Wheel

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Refurbishing TD Steering Wheel
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 21:57:51 -0700 (MST)
Well, I was going to buy a new steering wheel but, after an attack of
sticker-shock, I decided to try to resurrect the old one. I filled the
cracks in the rim with bondo, and I think it will look good after I paint it
(whether it
will hold up is another matter). The spokes seem to be in good shape, are they
chrome or stainless steel? Anyway they are shiny. The chrome ring and
medallion looked pretty bad, but a little polishing with the old dremel tool
made them look like new. Now for the questions: The DPO had painted the hub
of the steering wheel. And judging from the sloppy job, he used the same
house brush
he used to paint the rest of the car. Anyway, how was the hub originally
finished? I can strip the paint from the metal part of the hub, but I'm afraid
to try this on the plastic part. Can anybody advise me on how to proceed
from here? It would be nice to make it look original, but as long as it
looks good I will be satisfied.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD under DIY restoration
71 MGB still in shop, 14 months and counting (the TD is winning)