Seat Studs, Distribitor Cond Screw

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Seat Studs, Distribitor Cond Screw
From: Joanne Hershfield/Jim Fink <hershfld@email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 23:39:05 -0500 (EST)
On a few older lines of conversation

On a recent restoration of a '71 MGB where I had Carpets and seat covers
and panels all hand made by a great little upholstery shop in Austin Texas
for about $400, I had the carpet sections and jute that go under the seat
made with two slits to go around the Seat rail wood of each seat,

--------------------------------------
-------------------------             -
-------------------------             -
-                                     -
-                                     -
-------------------------             -
-------------------------             -
---------------------------------------

very crude but perhaps understandable ascii art..

this way the
carpet was easily removed when the car was rained on, (that does happen
you know..) and the seat wouold be a 1/2" or so closer to the floor, very
handy when you are 6'4", every spare inch is handy with the tops that make
you shrink to see the stop lights, or stop 100' behind the light.., then
the pick-up pulls up in front  to fill the un occupied space.. anyway..
sorry... I Digress, the Stud idea is  agood one though.... but the carpet
secured down there sounds like major rust of the future to me.

On the older line of the Condensor screw falling away....
I almost always just pull the distribitor, one 7/16" box end, shortie, and
a mark on the dist and bracket help realign on replacement..I believe this
2 Minute operation to be much esier and faster and less stress..., better
on the back to, sitting on the ground with cloth in lap...

I pull the distributor, adjust, file and or just replace points, oil
plate, check vacuum advance (suck), and replace occasionally, when feeling
rich, or guilty, the condensor.. using a MAGNETIC tipped screwdriver...
If I don't pull the dist, a long telescoping magnet tool is a must in
everyones' box..., on returning the dist to the slot, always remember
which
way the rotor was facing on removal, and don't spin the motor around while
the dist is out.!., a quick check of the timing is a good thing at this
point anyhow, it is tune-up time anyway, I have gotten lately, where a
simple twist of the Adv Ret screw is all that is needed to get her back
on the mark,,, this is with MkII B's anyway....

Anywy, happy new years to all, and may the Ice melt soon, gloves and hat
and scarf while driving, an MGB winter fact of life..

Jim Fink
NC
'69 MGB Daily
'64 MGB Someday alive again, (Starts !)
'67 MGB Wire wheel Rolling Rusty Shell w/title & Susp FOR SALE CHEEP !
V*&^O Wagon (aka Truck)