RE: Refurbishing TD Steering Wheel

To: rdonahue@holli.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Refurbishing TD Steering Wheel
From: "Blair Engle" <engle@mailer.martech.fsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:48:50 -0500 (EST)
Hi Bob...

> The spokes seem to be in good shape, are they chrome or stainless steel?

The spokes are chrome plated.

 Anyway they are shiny. The chrome ring
> and  medallion looked pretty bad, but a little polishing with the old
> dremel tool  made them look like new. Now for the questions:

The hub and cender piece of the steering wheel are painted the same bronze
color as the center instrument panel of the dash.  Moss #220-530 spray can.

> The DPO had painted the hub  of the steering wheel. And judging from the
>sloppy job,
> he used the same  house brush
> he used to paint the rest of the car. Anyway, how was the hub originally
> finished? I can strip the paint from the metal part of the hub, but I'm
> afraid to try this on the plastic part. Can anybody advise me on how to
> proceed  from here? It would be nice to make it look original, but as
> long as it  looks good I will be satisfied.

Sand the plastic center piece to remove the old paint.

Good luck.

Blair
1950 TD
1953 TD