Re: Classic plates, insurance & claims

To: ragthyme@fls.infi.net
Subject: Re: Classic plates, insurance & claims
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 22:30:32 EST
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 17:57:57 -0500 ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
writes:(snippets)
>Friends:
>
>Now that Barney's opened the insurance can again, I'll throw in my
>tuppence worth for your general information.
>
>After 19 years with Nationwide insurance, with the same bloody agent,
>the company cancelled my policy, without notice, by the simple
>expedient
>of returning my premium cheque.  Not realising this is what had
>happened
>for a few days, this left me sans insurance for approximately 10 days
>(illegal in VA) although, under our insurance laws, they would have
>technically had to cover me had something occurred.  I sent them a
>very
>nice letter (snick) asking them why they'd done this. Bear in mind,
>I've
>owned the MG for about three years now, with no accidents, tickets, or
>
>claims. They reported to me that they reviewed their records, and upon
>
>discovering that the MG was listed as my 'primary' car, they cancelled
>
>the policy automatically. Apparently, they no longer insure primary
>sports car drivers. New rules, it would seem.  Despite pointing out to
>
>them that I have three other cars that are NOT sports cars, and that I
>
>had had sports cars with them for 12 years or so, and that my 'sports'
>
>car would make a very poor showing against, say, a 5-litre Mustang or
>even a well-tuned Dodge Caravan in a dead heat, I got the usual 'those
>
>are the rules, sir, have a nice day, sir, I don't make the rules, sir'
>
>speech when I called them back.
>
>So much for Nationwide.  Apparently, had I listed the 63 Ford as my
>primary car, this wouldn't have happened. Good call by my loyal agent,
>
>there.  When he asked if I wanted my coverage restored with the new
>classification, I told him I'd never do business with his company
>again
>and seriously hoped that they had to underwrite the next major
>national
>disaster, alone.
>
>Then I got a friend of mine to quickly write me some insurance with
>Erie. All went very well the first week, although I had to get a
>special
>dispensation from the Papal Underwriters to have the MG insured with
>them atall.  The next week, I got a very nicely worded letter from
>their
>underwriting department, informing me that they 'don't normally insure
>
>sports cars' but that 'given my excellent driving record' they'd make
>an
>exception; they helpfully pointed out that statistically 'more sports
>cars have accidents than any other sort of vehicle' and that they
>hoped
>I'd keep that in mind, and of course, continue to drive safely.
>
>My translation of this rather long (two page) letter amounted to: have
>
>an accident, we'll cancel your insurance. Have a nice day.
>
>Somewhere along the line, they've never gotten the idea that a 22 year

> [...]
Corey - sorry to hear of these woes - insurance cos are almost as close
to the total sphyncter as lawyers - I had my entire policy for two cars
and my house cancelled about six years ago because i had the temerity to
claim for a well-pump that was hit by lightning in the same year as
getting a speeding ticket (in a H***A CRX too - for shame)
My wifes father was in the navy from ww2 until 1965 - he got us insurance
(in 1991)with USAA
it was cheaper and easier to place than i was used to and over the years
they have never asked a single question about my MGs except for how much
i will drive them - i always say 7500 pa tho how theyd ever know beats me
- the premia are about $300pa but thats collision only, im waiting to
hear what comp is for the 70GT and the 72 since its now a car and not a
hulk(!) in the next day or so(I didnt ask when i placed it)
If you have any connection, however tenuous with the military it may be
worth looking into - I say tenuous since being "True Brit" I hardly fit
the mould and my wife certainly isnt a "Vet" but even though my father in
law passed away four years ago but we still appear to be eligible

godd luck, beaurocracy sucks!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT