Re: California...

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: California...
From: damitdick@juno.com (W. J. Richard Criswell)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 12:08:29 EST
On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 00:09:20 -0500 (EST) "W. R. Gibbons"
gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu> writes:

>On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Nina Barton wrote regarding why one of every
>seven people in the US lives in California:
>
>> Some people might think its the sweeping ocean views as you drive
along
>> Highway One in your LBC with the top down on a sunny January day.
Others
>> might think its wine tasting in the Napa Valley. complete with picnic
and
>> friend along.  Or you might think its the availability of excellent
food
>> here in Berkeley, much of it ready to take along on your outing.  Or,
and
>> this is one of the big ones for me, its the choice of taking a drive
along
>> one of our fun mountain roads. late at night, all with the excuse of
going
>> to the grocery store for lunches for the kids in the morning!
However, as
>> a native Californian, I don't really know much else.
>> Nina
>
>Sounds fabulous.  I guess that explains it.
>
>It is just gosh-awful here in Vermont.  I know the conventional view is
of
>beautiful, lush green country with mountains and lakes all around, but
>that is just tourist BS.  The population is exploding and we have
terrible
>growth pains.  The population of the state is somewhere near a half
>million, and Burlington, the largest city in the state, must be over
>50,000 people by now.  I live about 3 miles from the university, as the
>crow flies, in a modest subdivision.  When the farmer out back manures
his
>fields, the smell would knock you over.  Our rush hour often lasts as
much
>as 45 minutes, and it frequently takes me more than 15 minutes to get to
>work, if you count how long it takes to park.
>
>Land costs are horrible; my daughter had to pay $38000 for a cabin and
10
>acres of land at the foot of a mountain, even though there is a stream
>running right through the middle of the land that makes it hard to drive
>right up to the cabin.  In the next month or so, the *second* Wal-Mart
>will open in Vermont.  Half the mailboxes have black cow spots painted
on
>them.  Except for the interstate, the roads are all twisty and hilly,
>there are mountains all over the place, and you need a sports car to
make
>decent time.  And hey, the weather is just terrible.  Your CA-acclimated
>body would freeze here.  It is -30F just all the time, and the wind is
>terrible, and we suffer endlessly. It is just horrible.  Californians
>would hate it here.
>
>WRG
>
>   Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Stop it Ray. Your breakin my heart. Nobody should be saddled with all
that misery!

While the CA coast is pretty and makes for nice drives, If you want
spectacular ocean scenery the Oregon coast is the only way to go!

Dick 8>)
Vintage Parts & Products
Camarillo, CA
Have MG will travel